Damn! Covid has thrown the majority of us into unprecedented difficulties, devastating businesses, with mammoth job losses and crucifying wages cuts, left, right and centre. “Tell me something I didn’t know” I hear you say.
The effect of this on our confidence, our ability to earn and indeed to survive can render even the best of us feeling us inadequate and despondent. The fact is these circumstances are out of our control. Who you are and how you react is in your control.
Why not take this time to put yourself and your work life balance under the microscope and consider re-invention, re-booting and re-emergence to a life you really want? This shake up could just be what you needed all along!
If you are still reading this, you don’t just want to plod along and you have already made the first step to rising from the ashes.
Above all, take things gently after the shock. You need to take time to breathe and revive so do this at your own pace. Remember this is survivable!
When you feel the energy returning, set yourself some simple written tasks. Grab yourself some large pages and a pen – it’s easier laid out on a table in front of you. Remember, things may not come to you at first, so take your time and you will find yourself adding to the topics as your juices start to flow!
Explore who you are:
- Your vision for your future – Dare to dream!
- Your motivations – Material and/or psychological
- Your talents – Strengths in work and hobbies
- Your passions – What you love to do without any effort at all
- Your personality – Introvert/extrovert/thinker/doer – there is no right or wrong – you are who you are
- Your bugbears – What to avoid moving forward
- Your regrets – Learn from them only and do not ponder
Be honest with yourself to understand the real you. No one else needs to know!
Explore your career so far:
- Your skills
- Your knowledge
- Your experience
- Your qualifications
- Your capabilities
- Your achievements
- Your value
You may have forgotten things others haven’t even learned yet, so you might surprise yourself!
Explore your ideal job:
- Pull together all of the above to find the best future fit for you – It will become clear
- Research opportunities – Job searches, Innovations, The way and needs of the future
- Upskill and grow your learning base – Find out how to attain as much information and training for where you want to be
- Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau, Social Welfare and Local Enterprise Offices – For assistance and information
- Network, network, network – For a start, contact at least 20 people in your phone and email who can give you some advice and direction
- Get your name out there – Tell everyone about the new you
- Don’t ponder on rejection or criticism but learn from it and always use it to your advantage – Lows can lead to highs
- Talk to family and friends for backup and support
Refine all of the above to get to the nitty gritty of who you are and where you want to be. Remain focused on the fact that you know yourself better than anyone else.
Remember you are not alone and there are many great people around you who will like to help.
Who Dares Wins, So Have Courage!